Archaeology and sustainable development, a scientific meeting meets success and pleasant surprises!
The scientific meeting "Archaeology and sustainable development" took place on Saturday 11 January in Veria, attracting high attendance and public interest. The meeting was organized by the 17th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities and the 11th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities, in order to present their projects in the Prefecture of Imathia, which are co-financed by the National Strategic Reference Framework 2007 - 2013 and their targets for the new framework period of co-financing by the Structural Funds of the European Union, 2014 - 2020). The most pleasant surprise of the meeting was the presentation of the Head of the two Ephorates, Dr Angeliki Kottaridi, of the recent archaeological findings in the royal necropolis of Aigai, in Vergina.
Among the projects in progress presented by Dr Kottaridi, the restauration of the palace of Aigai and the creation of the Polycentric Museum of Aigai. Our two major digital projects were also presented, the Virtual Museum for Alexander the Great and the Digital Network for the ancient kingdom of Macedons.
Selected press clippings (in Greek):
- Dr Lina Mendoni and Dr Angeliki Kottaridi during the scientific meeting's coffee break
- The Secretary General of the Ministry of Culture and Sports, Dr Lina Mendoni
- The Vice Head of the Region of Central Macedonia for the Prefecture of Imathis, Constantinos Karapanagiotidis
- The mayor of Veria Chariclia Ousoultzoglou - Georgiadi
- His Eminence the Archbishop of Veria, Naousa and Campania, Panteleimon
- The Director General for Antiquities and Cultural Heritage of the Ministry of Culture and Sports, Dr Maria Andreadaki -Vlazaki
- The Member of Parliament Georgia Bratsara and the journalist Anna Panagiotarea
- Dr A. Kottaridi, "Planning projects, restauring monuments, inaugurating museums...the contribution of two Ephorates of Antiquities to the fight against the financial crisis"
- K. Nikolaidou, "Travelling virtually from Aigai and the ancient kingom of Macedons to the world"
- G. Skiadaresis, M. Chatzimichali, K. Tziboulas, "Restoration of the Old Metropolitan Church of Veria. The city recovers its top monument"
- Dr M. Chimonopoulou, M. Chatzimichali, "When the city walls are inhabited: traditional houses over the byzantine walls of Veria"
- M. Polatidou, S. Svirtsevski, E. Christophoridou, "From idololatric to Christian Veria: the transformation of a city through the archaeological site of St Patapios, a diachronic cults site"
- N. Poulakakis - Ch. Asimakopoulou, "The history of the ancient theatre in Mieza: past - present - future"
- I. Graekos, "The temple of the indigenous Mother of Gods in Lefkopetra, Vermion"υτόχθονος στη Λευκόπετρα Βερμίου: λατρεία και μνήμη στο γενέθλιο μακεδονικό τοπίο"
- Dr A. Kottaridi, "New royal tombs in Aigai"